Pollock’s history can be traced back to early 1918, when Lawrence S. Pollock, only 26 at the time, organized the Pollock-Burt Paper Box Company. He had been working in the paper business since graduating from high school, yet shortly after starting this new venture, he left for officers training camp to serve in World War I, leaving management in the hands of his partner.
Upon his return from service, he took over the young business, which at the time only manufactured rigid boxes, and merged it with a paper jobbing business he had started called Pollock Paper Company. The combined entity became known as the Pollock Paper and Box Company. Seeing the potential for flexible packaging, he acquired the Dallas-based Wax Wrap Paper Company a year later, and in 1926 he subsequently consolidated all of his growing operations, including a new folding carton plant that would solidify his ability to provide a complete packaging service to all of his customers, into a new state of the art facility in Dallas, Texas.
In 1929, Dallas Paper Company was acquired, and this became the platform for Pollock’s distribution division. While others were struggling in the early part of the Great Depression, Pollock continued to grow, and over the next few decades, Pollock expanded its holdings with new manufacturing and distribution centers opening in Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, New York and Ohio. In 1949, the company’s name was changed to the Pollock Paper Corporation.
This was a time of substantial change in the packaging industry, and technological advances brought new materials to the market, improved methods of printing, and new competitors as well. Pollock invested in new equipment and expanded its technical and engineering divisions to meet these challenges head on, solidifying its dominant position in the marketplace.
In 1955, Lawrence Pollock decided to sell the company to the St. Regis Paper Company, and a subsequent merger in 1959 led to another name change to Pollock Division, St. Regis Paper Company. The company continued to expand, with new plants in Washington, California and Pennsylvania. By the time of its 50th anniversary in 1968, Pollock was an established leader in the packaging industry, with offices and plants from coast to coast.
As Lawrence Pollock started devoting more and more time to countless civic organizations and other interests as his company grew and matured, his two sons, Lawrence S. Pollock, Jr. and Robert G. Pollock, began to take leadership positions in the company. In 1972, they were approached by employees of Pollock’s paper distribution operations in Texas to repurchase the division from St. Regis. They did just that, and the once-again family-owned entity became known as Pollock Paper Distributors. With Lawrence S. Pollock, Jr. now at the helm, its distribution operations expanded throughout Texas, and in 1982 it added a sheet plant, which began operating as Pollock Packaging.
As its business continued to grow in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, it centralized its operations in 1991 at a new headquarters facility in Grand Prairie, Texas, and it was at this time that Lawrence S. Pollock, III assumed his leadership position at the company. Pollock’s distribution and packaging operations have continued their growth since that time, and new branches were subsequently established in Georgia and North Carolina. The company added an online office supply portal in 2012 known as PollockDirect.com, and in recognition of all of the various paper, packaging, equipment, sanitary maintenance and office supplies it now provides to its customers, it changed its moniker to simply Pollock, as it’s known today.
Since our founding in 1918, we’ve dedicated ourselves to a strong customer service culture which offers tailored one-on-one consulting, solutions and supplies for every corner of the workplace, from facilities cleaning and management to packaging resources and office solutions. We are immensely proud of our past and the contributions we’ve made to the communities in which we operate, and we look forward to continuing this tradition as we embark on a new century of solving.