Receiving a certification for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) from the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) means that the design, construction, and operation of a building meets or exceeds certain sustainability criteria. This is becoming the new standard for construction projects and operating businesses as people become more aware of the threats we face due to climate change. These certifications bring us one step closer to a climate neutral world.
Top 5 LEED Certified States in 2022
Last year was a great year for LEED certified buildings and communities. Last year alone, the top 10 states and the District of Columbia certified 1,225 LEED-certified projects and more than 353 million square feet under LEED. Here’s how the top 5 states fared:
- Massachusetts led the way with 3.76 certified gross square footage per capita and 96 green building projects.
- Illinois was not far behind, with 3.48 certified gross square footage per capita and 91 green building projects.
- New York continued to be a leader in green initiatives, with 3.17 certified gross square footage per capita and 142 green building projects.
- California had 2.44 certified gross square footage per capita and 78 green building projects.
- Maryland rounded out the top 5 with 2.39 certified gross square footage per capita and 80 green building projects.
How Other States Compared
Seeing these initiatives nationwide shows that construction is moving in a positive direction toward a more sustainable future. The other states in the top 10 in LEED certification in 2023 were Georgia, Colorado, Virginia, Texas and Oregon. We look forward to seeing these states continue to compete for some of the top spots in the country in terms of sustainability.
Green Cleaning with Pollock Orora
Pollock Orora collaborates with businesses nationwide to help them meet LEED requirements through green cleaning training and by offering products that help businesses earn LEED O+M credits. Our LEED experts guide businesses through this process to help make them more sustainable. We’re here to make SOLVED happen for businesses that need help getting it done.
If you’re looking to make your business more eco-friendly with a green cleaning program, give Pollock Orora a call at 972-263-2126 or reach out online.