Most people do not demand the level of cleanliness in their homes as they do in businesses. Offices generally invite a wide array of individuals at different levels of health. For everyone to remain healthy, it is important to keep your office as clean and germ-free as possible, and that requires commercial cleaning supplies from Pollock Orora. Read further to learn more about the cleaners and disinfectants that keep businesses safe and hospitable.
Different Types of Cleaning Chemicals
Chemicals are usually divided into categories of cleaner, sanitizer, and disinfectant. Each has an important role. Here are the most common types of cleaners:
• Cleaners: Remove loose dirt, grime, and a number of germs. Cleaners usually contain water and soap.
• Soap vs. detergent: Soaps are created from naturally-based formulas, while detergents are man-made.
• Sanitizers: Remove germs and other microbes from surfaces. Sanitizers work significantly better after the surface is cleaned.
• Disinfectants: As the name suggests, dis- (without) infections kill the microbes that cause many illnesses. Disinfectants are usually more heavy-duty than sanitizers. Common disinfectants contain chlorine or alcohol-based products.
Many chemicals are combinations of cleaners, sanitizers, and disinfectants. While some businesses require surfaces to be cleaned first (think: restaurant seating areas), others may benefit from one chemical combination to expedite the cleaning process.
Depending on the surface you are cleaning and whether it is a food service area, many governmental agencies have specific guidelines on the necessary chemicals to clean and disinfect the surface.
Be aware many chemicals are “one size fits all,” so they work pretty well anywhere. Others are specific, such as upholstery spot removers or window cleaners. A specific chemical works better on the task for which it is intended.
The “nuts and bolts” of cleaning equipment are the brooms and dust rags, but so much more equipment is necessary most people forget about until it is missing. A must-have list includes the following:
• Personal protection equipment (gloves – rubber and disposable, aprons, masks, et cetera)
• Broom and dustpan
• Mop and bucket
• Dry mop
• Cleaning rags (often reusable microfiber cloths)
• LEED-certified vacuum with HEPA filter
Most people don’t realize how clean the cleaning equipment must be in commercial cleaning. After cleaning, all items should be washed and/or disinfected before moving to the next client.
Some businesses restock a number or all these items while others rely on their cleaning service. These may include but are not limited to:
• Bathroom tissue
• Facial tissue
• Paper towels
• Dispenser soap
• Trash bags
Rather than opting for a disinfectant containing bleach or other harmful chemicals, manufacturers are now creating environmentally-friendly disinfectants still able to handle the viruses and other pathogens that cause many human illnesses without the use of volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Toss-away disinfecting cloths and floor sweeper pads are convenient, but not eco-friendly. Many cloth cleaning products have a reusable option which can be sanitized in a dishwasher or washing machine.
Is a sponge really a sponge? Nowadays, no. Sponges were truly animals living in the ocean or, like loofa, plant-based scrubbers. Today’s sponges are plastic or manmade. Look for natural fibers in your next sponge shopping excursion, and remember to wash all sponges in the dishwasher for repeated use.
Look into a green carpet cleaning system that uses less water and does not utilize VOCs.
Sodium hypochlorite is a great substitute for bleach. It does not release dioxins and has similar germ-killing and whitening properties as bleach.
Go for the Gold!
Pollock Orora’s line of RadianceTM cleaning solutions have you covered. Here are some of the supplies this cleaning line has to offer:
• Chemicals: All surfaces inside your business, warehouse, and your vehicles remain in the ultimate condition with Radiance comprehensive solutions. From floor strippers to bathroom and kitchen cleaners, keep all surfaces in the best, safest condition possible.
• Cleaning equipment: Dispensers for your co-workers and customers ensure only the proper amount of cleaning solution or sanitizer is dispensed.
• Restock items: Rely on Pollock Orora for paper products to clean your bathrooms, kitchens, and workstations. For your shipping needs, our Radiance stretch film will stretch your dollars to capacity.
Give your commercial cleaning pros at Pollock Orora a call at 800-843-7320 or visit Pollock Advantage II to fulfill your online orders.